Saturday, October 2, 2010

Multi-Tasking

In Chapter 2 we talked about cores, fetches, and pipelines. We (humans) are very similar to the process of fetching information. I think of humans as the core and the number of tasks that a person tries to do at once as the number of pipelines. I like to think of it like multi-tasking versus group work. We talked about the different intel computers (i3, i5, and i7) and the different speeds the computers worked at and the different set ups each computer had. We talked about how it is faster to have a computer with two dual cores (an i5) rather than having a computer with one quad core (i7). If you think about it, it makes total sense and it relates to how humans work as well. If a person has a lot of tasks to complete at once he or she will not be able to complete each task as well/quickly. On the contrary, when two people work together to split the number of jobs, each person will have less work and will be able to complete the task well. I related this to working alone versus working with a partner or in a group in school. There are some tasks that are better for individual work or group work all depending on the assignment, but generally speaking when you divide a large task up and more people will have less work. This is why I am a fan of group work and how I think that humans are like core processing systems. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment