Sunday, September 19, 2010

CSCI Chapter One Blog

This first chapter of Computer Science was a very intriguing one, and it set a good foundation for me to actually understand how these machines we use everyday, actually work. Our focus over the past few weeks has been on mostly learning how bits and bytes work. We learned how data is actually stored using only two numbers, One and Two. Before this class, I had no clue it was possible to create such complicated algorithms using two numbers. The order in which these numbers are placed creates everything from images to MP3 files. Obviously, because I use a computer everyday, this knowledge applies hugely to my life.

I use a ton of images here at Hope. Whether it is putting together a powerpoint, or editing photos that I take, Digital pictures are a huge part of my life. When I learned more about bits and binary representation, I realized that all these images I see and use, are actually just a specific order of number. Each pixel of my photos are a number value for RGB (red, green, blue) that create a specific color. I find it amazing how a computer is able to take this long strand of binary information, and create a vivid picture out of it.
Take any given webpage for example. Literally everything that I am seeing in my browser is just an interpretation of binary bits. Computers are able to interpret this information into what I am looking at, interacting with, and even typing.

All of this new information, that I have been able to apply to everyday things like digital pictures, Is just scratching the surface of how these incredible machines actually work. Now, whenever I open my computer, I have a new appreciation for the actual science behind what I am seeing. It amazes me to think that this fairly simple idea of binary could turn into such a complicated thing, like the computers we use day to day.

No comments:

Post a Comment