Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Chapter 2: Data Manipulation

Hunter Huvler 9/29/10

In this chapter we talked about data manipulation in computers such as machine language, program execution, and communicating with other devices. To me this chapter was very interesting. When I would use a computer before now I never thought about the instructions of a computer system and what it takes to run a program. At hope I am using a computer almost everyday to run new programs for homework or to check my email. I wouldn't even think about what it takes for a computer to do this before now. When I would be on my email and trying to run other programs as well I never thought about the fetch execute cycle. This cycle is around us everyday every time we use computers. It is amazing how fast this cycles runs. It seems like it takes no time at all for the computer to decode the new bit patterns and then to perform the action that is required by the instructions. In the lab we did when we tried to make our own instructions and run them it seemed like it took me forever to do. But with the computer it does it so fast that I never even thought about the process it takes to run all these programs at once. Also here at hope I am always using new devices such as my flash drive. I never thought about how the computers communicate with this device to run certain programs. Before this I just took it for granted how fast a computer did this and I never knew there was a actual process a computer went through to run these programs and go through the instructions. So with all of this and CPU main memory who knows where we would be at today. Technology would be much slower because we would all have to write our own programs/instructions and de-code them all just to run one program.

No comments:

Post a Comment