Thursday, September 23, 2010

Chapter one: Tommy Learns a Computer Lesson

The initial chapter of Brookshear has been very illuminating for me. I took formal logic (with focus on Boolean and Aristotelian) and absolutely loved it so much so that I incorporated it heavily into my own life philosophy. Reading this chapter very much reminded me of that logic class, and demonstrated definitively a fact that I only vaguely knew: Computers are machines built purely around logic. A computer is merely Boolean logic applied to electricity flow. The fact that computers utilize logic only serves to prove one of the many points that I've been saying for years: We should teach formalized logic classes in our schools. Aside from providing general enlightenment, logic is useful for people who go into numerous different subjects such as Math, Science, Law, Language, Computer Science, Writing, and Theology (Ancient and medieval Catholic Theologians are in part responsible for preserving Aristotelian thought so I feel mildly indebted to them) among many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment