Saturday, September 18, 2010

01001111 01101110 01100101

We all have aliases. I'm Christine Gobrogge. I'm also Hope College ID #000... ... The government gave me a social security number. My bank doesn't care about my name- they put a number on my account. My room isn't "Christine's Room"- I'm room 228. Numbers are constantly used to identify us- campus wide, and world-wide. Yet in some web of information, these numbers are all tied back to my name. This is similar to the world of computers. In decimal, the number is 15. In binary, its 1111. In octadecimal, its 17, and in hexadecimal, it's F. They're all tied together (although they have mathematical sequences that interweave between the identities.) They all mean the same thing.

How about an interesting "duh" discovery to brighten your day? We all learned that 0 = power off, and that 1 = power flowing. Well, look at the back of an electronic. Ever notice those that there's a 0 then the switch then a 1 on the opposite side? Ah, a sweet connection to everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment