Monday, November 8, 2010

The Hope Shuttle

Move-in day my freshman year was such a blur. I was told while packing for college, I should label all of my boxes and bags of stuff for my dorm with my dorm and room location. I lived in Dykstra, Cluster G1, room 2. So, all of my stuff was labeled DykstraG12. Upon arriving on campus, I was ripped out of my car- leaving my dad in the driver's seat while the trunk was torn apart by a bunch of over-eager workers wearing bright orange shirts.
As I was shuffled through hundreds of formalities of signing forms and getting keys, my junk was being moved to my cluster. Yet, it didn't get as far as my room. Everyone's stuff from Cluster G1 was thrown in random order into the cluster. It was a free for all trying to find our stuff.
Similarly to a network, each room had a specific address: G12 = IP address. Yet, the first 3 bytes of the IP address could be compared to "Dykstra cluster G1." It was more specific than just "Dykstra" but it wasn't complete without the room number. My cluster could be considered a network. Through hallways (routers...) we were connected to other networks such as G2 and G3.
Now, I live in Cook. This cluster/ network theory doesn't apply. But, I could consider Cook as a dorm as a network. We're all connected to one another through wires. From Cook, our wires undoubtedly span to Durfee, the Keppel House, and the Haworth Inn.

No comments:

Post a Comment